Oracle Fusion Middleware update 14.1.2
The Oracle Fusion Middleware stack is a product that was used by a wide range of clients. Unfortunately Oracle has not released many upgrades since version 18.104.22.168 was released in 2016. The suggested alternative was to move to the cloud, but especially in The Netherlands, many clients rather kept their integration solutions on-premise. Therefore, a lot of customers have chosen to abandon Fusion Middleware for an alternative or have accepted that they no longer receive full support.
In a surprise move, Oracle has released a statement of direction for Fusion Middleware version 14.1.2 to be released in calendar year 2023.
Oracle has released updates for some components of Fusion Middleware in the 14c version range in March 2020, but this only included Weblogic Server and Coherence.
14.1.2 will contain many more Middleware products.
- WebLogic Server, Coherence and Oracle HTTP Server
- JDeveloper and ADF
- SOA Suite and BPM Suite
- WebCenter Portal, WebCenter Content, and WebCenter Sites
- Forms and Reports
- Oracle Data Integrator and Enterprise Data Quality
- GoldenGate Foundation Suite
Enhancements include the following:
- the latest Java technologies -JDK 11 & 17 runtime, Jakarta EE 8 and GraalVM
- cloud native application development and deployment, including alignment with Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) recommended technologies
- security and compliance enhancements to address modern security and regulatory requirements
- interoperability in hybrid cloud and multi-cloud environments
Especially the updates to SOA Suite, BPM and ADF will make a lot of clients and developers very happy. This will allow them to continue to keep their software on-premise and not force them to move to the cloud.
Not many details are currently known, so it's still a bit of a mystery what the enhancements to the Fusion Middleware products are exactly, but the fact that a new version has been announced is a welcome surprise in itself.